1. Fold fabric at 45 degree angle and place the pattern piece as shown in picture. Note: If the width of the fabric doesn't accommodate pattern, add a strip of fabric. There will be a seam in one of the legs, but it is not noticeable, even if you sew with solid colors. Also, make sure there is a nice curve to waistline, otherwise the pants will not drape nicely.
2. The pants will look something like this. Notice that the waistline is a semicircle. Fold the right sides together and stitch or serge the side seams. (Excuse the subpar pictures)
3. Cut a three inch wide waistband to fit the waistline opening. Stitch the shorter sides together (right sides together)to make a circle. Now you can serge it to the waistline. However, if you don't have a serger or you prefer clean finishes, this is the method to use. Pull the waistband on top of pants, right sides together and stitch. Fold the raw edge of the waistband under 1/4 inch and press. Fold the waistband in half and pin enclosing the seam in the back. Stich in the ditch on the right side catching the waistband edge in the back. Leave a small opening to insert elastic.
4. Now we will make cuffs. Fold both cuffs right sides together and serge or stitch. Pull a cuff onto leg opening until raw edges meet, serge or stitch. Make an elastic casing at the bottom of the cuff by folding the raw edges under 1/4 inch and then again 1/2 inch. Stitch around leaving a small opening to insert elastic.
5. Cut a piece of 1 inch elastic to fit child's waist. Insert the elastic into the opening in the waistband with the help of a safety pin. Secure the ends of the elastic by overlapping them and sewing back and forth with zigzag stitches. Stitch the opening in the waistband shut. Repeat the process with each cuff. Cut two pieces of 3/8 inch elastic. It should loosely fit around child's ankles. Insert it into the casing, secure the ends of elastic and stitch the openings shut. You have brand new pants. Yeah!
Take the new pants out and your child is guaranteed to make a fashion scene. Not everybody will approve, others will look at you in awe. Passing teenagers will stop in their tracks and beg you to make a pair for them. Enjoy the attention. :)
The fabric came from my Skirt Week winnings. It's from Hawthorne Threads. A wonderful shop with a great fabric variety and the best customer service.